No. The law is clear on this issue. Willfully withholding visitation can result in the person withholding or prohibiting visitation from being held in contempt of court by a family court judge.

The sanctions for contempt include an active jail sentence up to one year, fines, community service hours and/or having to pay the attorney fees and costs of the other party.

Many times, make-up visitation is also awarded. If you are facing this situation, you should strongly consider allowing our firm to assist you in bringing a contempt action against the person failing to pay support.

Please see our Child Support section to learn more about this subject.

Posted in: Family Law FAQs