To remain eligible for workers’ compensation benefits in South Carolina, you have to see the doctor chosen by your employer or its workers’ compensation insurer. But this does not mean you cannot see your own doctor or eventually find a different doctor to serve as your primary care provider.

In many cases, your employer will have several approved doctors or medical practices you may choose from to provide care for you after a work-related accident or illness. You need to see one of these employer-approved doctors and need to follow his or her prescribed treatment for your injuries.

However, you have the right to see your own doctor or another doctor of your choosing in addition to the doctor of record on your workers’ compensation claim. In some situations, it may be beneficial to have a second opinion about your injury and recovery.

If your physician and the employer-approved doctor disagree on your treatment or your readiness to return to work, for example, you may appeal to the Workers’ Compensation Commission to accept your doctor’s opinion. You may also appeal to the Commission to change the physician of record on your case.

For any issues involving your medical care, you will fare better with the type of legal assistance that the experienced attorneys of Harrison, White, Smith & Coggins can provide to you.

Posted in: Workers’ Compensation FAQs