How to File a Workers’ Compensation Claim

After a workplace injury, South Carolina law entitles you to have your medical bills covered and to receive disability or lost wage benefits. However, there are specific steps you must take before you can start receiving this assistance.

A workers’ compensation lawyer at Harrison, White, Smith & Coggins, P.C., can help you to make your claim so you have the best chance of getting covered. Our attorneys offer a free consultation to victims of workplace injuries or illnesses in Spartanburg, Greenville and throughout Upstate South Carolina. Contact us today to learn more.

We have also prepared this step-by-step guide for workers who need help making their work injury claim.

1. Provide written notice to your employer of the accident or injury.

You should alert your employer as soon as a workplace accident occurs or as soon as you are diagnosed with an illness or injury resulting from work duties. You have 90 days to report an injury to your employer in order to maintain your right to receive workers’ compensation benefits. Even though you have 90 days, most employers require immediate notice. It is always best to provide notice of a work injury to your supervisor or lead person, human resources or on-site nursing / medical staff as soon as possible. 

2. See a doctor immediately after the accident.

You must have a record of the injuries in order to make a work injury claim. Your employer has the right to choose the doctor from whom you receive treatment. Be sure to request medical treatment if you have any question as to whether it might be necessary.

3. Get help from a workers’ compensation lawyer.

After a workplace injury, it is crucial to speak with a workers’ compensation lawyer in upstate South Carolina who understands the system and how to make it work for you.

At Harrison, White, Smith & Coggins, P.C., we have helped many clients to file their claim and get the benefits and compensation they need to cover their costs and losses.

Contact us today to speak with a member of our legal team and learn more about how we can help with your case.