What if I was partially at fault for my car wreck? How will this affect the amount of my claim settlement?

456866133Any negligence on your part that contributed to your car accident will be considered. It could be held against you in a legal claim. Your attorney would work hard to minimize its effect on your claim.

Under South Carolina comparative negligence principles, each party’s relative fault is considered in an accident claim, including your fault. The amount you can recover is reduced by the percentage of fault attributed to you. If you are deemed to be 50 percent or more at fault, then you can be barred from recovering anything.

For instance, let’s say you are in a car crash that results in $1 million in damages. You are deemed to be 40 percent at fault. The other driver is deemed to be 60 percent at fault. Your recovery would be reduced by your percentage of fault. So, the most you could recover would be $600,000.

On the other hand, if you were deemed to be 60 percent at fault, and the other driver only 40 percent, then you could recover nothing for your losses.

An attorney will aggressively protect your rights and seek the maximum amount of compensation for you even if you are partially at fault for the accident that harmed you.

Posted in: Car Accidents